Some people worship the fall season. From cozy fashion and bonfires to delicious food and football, there are many things to look forward to. But before you pull out your plaid scarf and go traipsing about in the leaves, prepare your HVAC system for the cold. If you don’t know where to start, follow these six steps:
- Replace your HVAC filters. You should be replacing your filter every three months, at the very least. For those with a dog or cat, we recommend checking the air filter every 60 days, but if you have more than one pet or suffer from allergies, you may benefit from changing the filter every month. You can easily purchase filters online and have them direct-shipped right to your door.
- Turn the heat on to test run the system before the cold sets in. This will warm up your heating unit so it doesn’t have a hard start on a crisp autumn day. If it works properly, you can move on with your fall festivities and breathe a sigh of re-leaf. But if not, just call us, and we’ll get it fixed in no time.
- Seal air leaks with caulk and weather stripping to prevent cold air from seeping underneath doors or leaking through gaps in the windows. If you increase your home’s energy efficiency, you could save money on utility bills.
- Clean the outdoor condenser unit of debris to ensure proper airflow and prevent leaves from getting inside the unit. Vacuum the vents throughout your home with a hose attachment so the dust, dander, and pet hair that may have accumulated there don’t get further inside your ductwork or into your equipment.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace the batteries if needed and buy new ones if the alarms are more than 10 years old.
- Schedule a maintenance checkup to avoid costly and untimely repairs. Your technician will check for damage or loose components, clean the boiler or furnace, measure combustion efficiency, lubricate moving parts, perform a safety check, test ducts, and make recommendations for improvements.
We want to make sure your home will stay cozy when the air gets crisper than the harvest from the apple orchard. If you run into any unexpected problems when preparing your HVAC system for fall, schedule service with our trusted professionals. Our qualified technicians will repair your equipment so you can get back to everything you love about autumn. Tell us your favorite fall tradition in the comments below!
Contact us to learn more.